10 reasons why this post will make you think about your article headlines more closely
Do you think that your article headlines have a major impact on how often your audience engages, reads, and shares your content?
Well according to Buzzsumo it is difficult to overstate the importance of headlines. They analyzed 100 million headlines found on social media, and the results were amazing.
Their research included:
- Headline phrases that drive the most engagement on Facebook
- The worst performing headline phrases on Facebook
- The most effective phrases that start or end with headlines
- Optimum number of words and characters to use in a headline
- Most impactful numbers to use in headlines
- Most engaging Twitter headline phrases
- And differences between B2C and B2B headlines
Is there a formula to follow when writing headlines?
They did learn that there is not a magic formula to create a viral headline, but they did learn how to improve their content engagement.
One amazing stat for creating a popular post was using the trigram or three-word phrase “will make you” in your headline resulted in twice as many engagements as the second most popular trigram “this is why” in your headline.
The team also found that emotional headlines such as “make you cry” performed extremely well, but content writers have to be very careful when using these headline phrases as Facebook announced that it will demote “headlines that exaggerate the details of a story with sensational language” and which aims “to make the story seem like a bigger deal than it really is.”